Photo by Kathryn Krueger Photography
There’s simply no reason why a groom can’t dance with his dad or the man who raised him. It doesn’t have to be with just mom because some outdated dance tradition dictates that formal dancing should be with someone of the opposite sex. So in keeping with the post, 8 Songs for a Mother-Daughter Wedding Dance (which explains the selection criteria too), here are a eight potential songs to cut a rug with dad.
- My Father’s Eyes by Eric Clapton – A sadly sweet melody about the bond and inheritance between father and son, I’d dance a slow fox trot to this.
- Song for Dad by Keith Urban – This country song is great for a father-son line dance. A fun dance duo, the lyrics also speak to how a father set a great example of how a son should build, support and love his own family.
- Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy – This would be a super fun choreographed number to dance with dad – I imagine wayfarer sunglasses, some swing moves and a lot of air guitar.
- Just the Two of Us by Will Smith – A great song about the hope a father has for his son to pair with some Motown inspired line dancing.
- Here For You by Neil Young – (I kinda like The Kooks cover better, but it’s up to you.) The song is about a father marveling how a child grows into an independent adult. Despite that the song focuses on how a father will always be there for his child; a nice sentiment to know as the child goes on to build his or her own family.
- Beautiful Boy by John Lennon – A sentimental slow one, great for a father-son waltz.
- Kooks by David Bowie – A quirky song about the sacrifices someone’s parents made to raise them, but a nice sentiment for a wedding. And not to dis a great legend we lost this year, but I’d try to find a cover of this song so it’s a little more danceable.
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens – If this song paired with a waltz doesn’t become the quintessential father-son tearjerker dance I don’t know what will.